Tuesday 13 October 2015

Padding, adding rats, backcombing and frizzing 

During one of our technical lessons we were taught how to crimp and frizz hair, backcomb, and add padding and how to effectively use hair rats. Here are the results of the techniques I was taught.

Crimping:

  • Sectioning the hair into large chunks and start at the bottom of the head of hair.
  • Take the crimpers and place them as close to the scalp as possible without scolding and press down firmly for a few seconds. Then continue down the section of hair until the strand is successfully crimped. 
  • Continue crimping until the head of hair is done or until the sections that you wanted crimping are completed. 
  • Then once cooled and set, comb the strands out so that they do not stay in separate chunks. 
  • I found that I really liked working with the crimped hair and it really helped when trying out the other techniques later on. 



Backcombing:
  • Section off the hair you wish to backcomb using the pintail comb. In my case this was the hair at the front of the head that I had already crimped. 
  • Picking up a small section, take the pintail comb and drag it down the side of the hair that will not be visible, pulling the hair tight towards the root.
  • It will begin to gather the hair near the root of the hair. 
  • Continue all over and it will create a rigid structure that can be bent, shaped and pinned. 


Shaping without a hair rat:

  • After I had crimped and backcombed the hair, I was able to shape one side of it.
  • I began by taking thick sections of the hair and pinning it in the shape that I was trying to achieve, layering it one over the other. 
  • I found it quite easy to shape the hair and build a solid structure as the backcombing and crimping had created thick and rigid hair to work with. 
  • Overall I was pleased with this side of the hair.

Shaping using a hair rat:
  • Taking the other side of the hair I first of all pushed it all forward over the front of the face, leaving the back of the hair and roots exposed.
  • I then secured a ready-made hair rat in place, using hair grips, taking them through the hair rat, out of it and then under and securing it to the base of the hair. 
  • I then brought the hair over the top of the rat and was able to shape it around it. 
  • Then once I had shaped it and tucked the ends of the hair under the rat and then pinned these in place using hair grips.
  • The alternative to this method is to create a base to secure the rat to, this base can be in the form of a plait which the rat can easily be secured to. 
  • I really liked using the hair rat, however I didn’t think it was much better than without however on a real head of hair it may be quite different. 




Curling using a fine pin:

  • At the very front of the hair I removed a few sections of hair and sectioned them into smaller chunks.
  • Then using a fine pin at the root of a chunk, I began winding it around the legs of the pin in a figure of eight motion. 
  • Once I had wound all of the hair around the hair around the legs of the pin I secured it in place with a normal hair grip. 
  • Then taking some hot straightners, I clamped down hard on this chunk of hair then took the straightners away and let it cool. 
  • Once it had set and cooled I was able to un do the pins and let the curl down. 
  • this technique creates a zig-zag style curl, which was perfect to pin over the top of the existing up-do.




Evaluation:

Overall I found that I really liked using all of these techniques to create volume and texture. I think these styles of creating frizz work very well for me and I know that I can use the majority of these techniques to create authentic Elizabethan hairstyles.






No comments:

Post a Comment