Sunday 18 October 2015

National Portrait Gallery 


Queen Elizabeth I, by an unknown English artist. 


Queen Elizabeth I, by an unknown continental artist.


 Mary Queen of Scots.


Anne, Lady Pope with her children, by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger


During a recent trip to the National Portrait Gallery I made note of the different hairstyles I saw in portraits created during the Elizabethan era. As expected the styles were flamboyant, with what appeared to be lots of texture coming from frizz and curls, beautiful red colours and a range of adornments in their hair. These are all things I perceive to be iconic of the period, with many taking their style inspiration from the queen and her iconic red, curled hair. If I were to recreate a traditional Elizabethan style I would use these portraits as a base inspiration and work from these, looking at the shapes and textures that are visible in them. This would help create an authentic Elizabethan style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment